Academic Results - A level
A Level Results Summary 2017
Birkdale School achieved a fine set of results at A level across the full range of subjects in 2017 in the first year of the new linear courses. There are a large number of particularly notable achievements:
- Sciences remain a great strength with Yanhao Wang (4 A*) going on to study Natural Sciences at Magdalene College, Cambridge and Max Doody (A*AA plus A* in his Extended Project) to read Medicine at Oriel College, Oxford. Other successful Medics include Lisa Dwyer-Joyce (3 A* plus an A* for her Extended Project), Vikram Singh (2A* and 1A), Chiedoze Uchegbu (3A and A* in his Extended Project), Ankita Sharma (A*, A, B plus A in Extended Project) and Helen Singleton (A*, A, 2B and A* in Extended Project). Harvey Cao and William Cassels both achieved grades of A*A*A*A, exceeding their offers to secure places at Imperial College London for Natural Sciences and Mathematics respectively. Jamie McKane and Luke Middleton are both off to Bristol to read Engineering, each attaining grades of A*A*AA.
- Many departments achieved 50% or more grades at A/A* including Biology, Maths, Further Maths, Design Technology, Geography and Theatre Studies. Arts and Humanities have also had their share of successes with Isobel Abebrese off to St Andrew’s to read International Relations, Robert Jellinek going to King’s College, London to read Religion and Philosophy and Harriet Freeman and Ben Oliver off to St. John’s College, Durham and University College, London respectively to read Classics.
- Birkdale success in the Extended Project Qualification goes from strength to strength with 36 students, a third of the year group, taking the qualification. A fantastic 86% achieved A* or A grade. The qualification requires students to undertake a research project and is highly valued by universities.
- Congratulations to Zifeng Zheng who has secured a place to study at Goldsmiths, the prestigious college of Art at the University of London. This is an outstanding achievement: Zifeng joined Birkdale Sixth Form from China less than 2 years ago. Other students have demonstrated their international prowess with Didi Sabkha achieving A* in Arabic and Zhi Zhao achieving A* in Chinese.
- More than 95% have achieved a place at a university of their choice.
Head Master, Dr Paul Owen said, “I am delighted by the success of our talented students in winning places at their chosen universities. This is the result of a huge amount of hard work by staff and students over the last 2 years. In many subjects the students have had to meet the challenge of new and tougher A level courses and it is wonderful to see what they have achieved.”
A Level Results past and present
2017 A Level results by subject please click here.